Siem Reap Part 3: An Orphanage and A School

Day Two of my Siem Reap trip with Fairview International School middle school kids and teachers, saw my traveling buddies and I visiting an orphanage and a school. I have of course visited many schools in Malaysia (though not that many orphanages, I'm sorry to say) - both rural, urban as well as within the inner city types. I must say the ones in Siem Reap that we visited will be forever etched in my mind.

The first stop for our group of 24 was  Chres Village School and Orphanage in the outskirts of Siem Reap. The Fairview kids spent three hours getting to know, interact and play with the orphans. While communication was difficult at first and the environment a far cry from that in their school in Malaysia, the visitors and orphans soon found common ground.















In the latter half of the day, the Fairview students visited Spitser School where they learnt to make musical instruments from paper and balloons, and more...








Access to education is often taken for granted in the more developed areas around the globe. It was touching and humbling to see that - even with the most basic amenities and transportation - the kids in Cambodia make the effort..in fact, are very eager..to get the education they need. Thanks to all the helping hand that they get.

- See more at: http://www2.nst.com.my/business/latest/lessons-outside-the-classroom-grooming-global-thinkers-1.599744/facebook-comments-7.877068#sthash.Vat9e3CB.lVwyqWxw.dpuf

Comments