Siem Reap Part 1: What a Huge Lake..

I do a lot of travelling in the name of work.. but of a different kind nowadays as I am now on the education beat.

How different you might ask? Well, used to going to 5 star hotels for glitzy launches, I had the most interesting experience in May (yess.. this is a delayed telecast kinda posting) when I traveled with close to 200 Middle school kids  from Fairview International aged 14 to 16 for a 5 days 4 nights visit to Siem Reap, Cambodia.

The trip is part of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme the school offers and the kids  were from four Fairview campuses — Kuala Lumpur, Subang Jaya, Penang and Johor Baru.





We were divided into groups and I was put with the group from Subang Jaya. On the first day, straight from a 6am flight from Kuala Lumpur, we found ourselves packed into a bus straight for a cruise on the Tonle Sap.







For those who have not learned this in geography or have forgotten (like me, before I was reminded by the tour guide), Tonle Sap Lake is one of the largest freshwater lakes in Asia that can swell to an expansive 12,000 square kilometres. Inhabited by humans for centuries, the lake continues to host water villages where fishing remains the main activity.







Although on water, tourist shall never fear of not having anything to see, do or buy on the Tonle Sap.




This is only part 1 of that amazing journey. I did write an article on the trip, and if you want to, do check out: http://www2.nst.com.my/business/latest/lessons-outside-the-classroom-grooming-global-thinkers-1.599744/facebook-comments-7.877068#sthash.Vat9e3CB.dpuf

Comments