Desert Queen..Not

Apart from getting free newspaper, perks of my job include witnessing the launch of new tech products and gadgets that have yet to be introduced into the market. With that I also get to go to places where I would probably have the slimmest chance of setting my foot on.

Such opportunity came way when I was assigned to Nokia World 2013 in Abu Dhabi in October this year. And on top of that, the hotel I was staying in was right smack on the Abu Dhabi F1 tracks on Vaz Island. I was excited to go but I had mixed feelings coz I just had a lower back pain episode and I couldn't possibly sit in a flight for too long comfortably nor carry my luggage for. Lucky for me I was travelling with a bunch of guys, my fellow reporters.

Suffice to say, with the help of the  merry men, I made my way there successfully and was present during the day-long affair to see Nokia launch its first tablet, 6-inch smartphones and subRM500 smartphones with social media apps like Whatsapp and Instagram.

 

And understanding that all work and no play will make Jack and Jill very dull people, Nokia took us hardworking members of the media for a desert adventure the next day.


Due to my back, I couldn't do the camel rides, sand boarding or dune blasting. But I fed a falcon, enjoyed a sumptious buffet and ha d a nice lepak session under the shade at the desert camp.

We were there from around 10am to 1pm but the heat was truly draining and pretty soon I felt parched and sleepy. But it also reminded me of the story of  Siti Hajar who ran seven times back and forth in the scorching heat between Safa and Marwah looking for water for Prophet Ismail (a.s.). What faith and what courage! Made me feel such a sissy , I tell you.

Anyway, all in all it was a pleasant trip. When I got back only then I realised that the hotel I stayed in was only a few hundred metres from Ferrari World - the one with the fastest roller coaster in the world.

But I had a bad back so the info would have been no use to me, anyway..


Comments